Hetton Lyons club defeated Oyster Martyrs to make it through to the FA Sunday Cup Final.

The final whistle was met by huge celebration from Hetton Lyons as they sealed a 2-1 victory in the FA Sunday Cup Semi-Final against Oyster Martyrs at Billingham Synthonia’s, Central Avenue. The two previous winners of the Sunday Cup contested a feisty encounter, Oyster Martyrs’ Thomas Moore went closest in the early exchanges firing a half volley wide. Their top scorer, Leighton McGivirin was in the thick of the action first having a penalty appeal turned down and then letting the Hetton Keeper, Keith Finch get the better of him on a one on one after being play through on a flick on.

Against the run of play, Hetton took the lead on 26 minutes. Oyster Keeper, Luke Cannon spilled a cross that fell to a Hetton player who could make no mistake in finding the net. The Oyster bench was then animated referee, Whiteley missing a blatant handball on the edge of the box. The sides headed into half time with Hetton holding a 1-0 advantage.

The second half started in favour of Hetton, Marc Ellison blazed over an empty net following a square ball from the right. They did eventually double their lead, Mark Davison latched onto a through ball and slotted it cooly past Luke Cannon for 2-0. Oyster then came close soon after, John Moore’s long range effort drifted was saved by Keith Finch. Oyster did get back into the game on 70 minutes, their star man, Leighton McGivirin was on hand to fire in a low cross from the right to make it a nervy last twenty for Hetton.

However, their task was made harder soon after, as Michael Rimmer was dimissed for a challenge on Hetton’s, Ian Watson. This provoked a hostile reaction from the Oyster bench who claimed it was perfectly good challenge. Oyster did have a chance on 90 minutes, but McGivirin could only strike over after being found in the box, this had the Oyster bench holding their heads in their hands.  

The full time whistled sounded to jubilant scenes from Hetton, the playing staff ran onto the field as they had made in the FA Sunday Cup Final for a four time in six years.